How do I find good books for kids?
1. Follow what is popular and then expand into the genre (eg from Hunger Games to Gone to Uglies) etc.
2. See what others (including students) are reading and recommending – in reviews (newspapers, magazines, library journals), other blogs, Goodreads, the SLV’s Inside a Dog, Kidsreads.com, Book Trust and of course – the return trolley! Check out
3. Reference books like Eberle and Willamson’s Fiction Gateway, Herald’s Genreflecting series
4. Scholastic’s Book alike Wizard (put in a book you like and find others that are similar) http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/
5. What if the book they want isn’t there? Get them reading using the preview on Google Books, check out the local library catalogue, look at e book options (including joining a great library service like the one that Melbourne City Library provides-only if you live in Vic).