I came across this article recently in ASCD’s educational leadership reading
It argues that every child, every day should experience the following
1. Every child reads something he or she chooses.
2. Every child reads accurately.
3. Every child reads something he or she understands.
4. Every child writes about something personally meaningful.
5. Every child talks with peers about reading and writing.
6. Every child listens to a fluent adult read aloud.
I think it is something that educators and parents need to think about (and act on).